THIS POLICY WAS LAST UPDATED AND TAKES EFFECT ON: SEPT 16th 2016
Thank you for your interest in Loudsurf. We understand that the privacy of all the personal information that you provide and that we handle is important.
This policy explains what personal information Loudsurf Limited (‘Loudsurf’) collects, how it is used, stored, disclosed and secured, and how you can exercise choices and manage your data in connection with your use of the Loudsurf mobile application (‘App’) or our website Loudsurf.com (together the ‘Services’).
Important children’s information
The Loudsurf Service is not directed at any person who is under the age of 16. Users of Loudsurf must be 16 years old or over to sign up or submit any personal information through the Loudsurf Service. If you have reason to believe that a person under 16 years of age may have provided us with their personal information, such as by setting up an account, please contact us App Feedback immediately.
If you have any queries regarding your personal information or this policy please contact us. App Feedback.
2. Policy headlines
- Information collection – Loudsurf collects personal information about you and about the devices you use to access and interact with the Loudsurf Service. We collect information you give us when you sign-up to and use Loudsurf, information collected automatically from your use of Loudsurf, information from cookies, and similar technologies, and information we may collect from other sources such as our music and content streaming partners.
- Information use – We use personal information we collect to deliver the Loudsurf Service, to enhance our Services, to optimise Loudsurf for you, to deliver advertising and communicate offers (where you consent to these communications) and to protect Loudsurf and its users.
- Information disclosure – Loudsurf is all about enabling you to share content and information and to choose who to share that content or information with, whether this is a private or a public group or the online world at large. We may also share your personal information within Loudsurf or with our service providers or partners to provide and improve our Services and to deliver advertising. We may also share your personal information in circumstances where we are legally required to disclose or where we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent or detect crime, apprehend or prosecute an offender or protect the rights, property or safety of Loudsurf, its users or any person.
- Storage – Loudsurf is headquartered in Europe and our main data hosting facilities are located on servers based in Europe. That said, personal information may be transferred to and/or processed in other countries for the purposes described in this policy where Loudsurf group companies or its service providers maintain operations. These countries may not have similar data protection laws to those in Europe.
- Security – We have put controls in place to seek to safeguard the personal information that you provide, applying physical and technical measures against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Please also help us to help you. Remember that you are responsible for keeping your password or passcode details secret at all times.
- Choices – We provide you with different options and choices around how we use your personal information to communicate with you, personalise Loudsurf Services, send you marketing offers or deliver advertising relevant to your interests. You can also access, update amend or delete your information through your account or by contacting us App Feedback.
See the main section for full details
3. What kinds of information do we collect?
Loudsurf collects personal information about you, how you access and interact with the Loudsurf Service and about the devices you use to do so . This includes, but is not limited to, the following information –
- Information you provide when you sign-up to and use Loudsurf
- Registration information – When you sign-up and create an account, we collect full name, email and about text. You can choose to sign up by providing either your email address along or with a password for your sign-in security. We also determine the country you are from a check against your IP address.
- Profile information – On signing-up, a basic profile page will be created which you have the option to refine and manage by giving further information about yourself – by uploading a picture and adding other content that you wish to share with Loudsurf users.
- Loudsurf activity information – We will collect information about your use of our Services. This includes, but is not limited to: what you search for, look at and engage with; the people you discover and like; the music you listen to and share; the friends and users that are part of your network; the content you create; and the notifications or messages that you send, post, share, receive or upload to your profile. Be aware of your own privacy needs and the privacy needs of others in choosing who to connect with and what you choose to make public or share with others.
- Your queries or questions – We will collect information if you contact us for example with a question, problem or comment about the Loudsurf Service and its content.
- Information collected automatically from your use of Loudsurf
Certain information is collected automatically from your device about your engagement with Loudsurf content, waves, notifications, messaging or advertising. This includes:
- Device information – this may include an identifier for your device and information about the type of device you are using to access Loudsurf Services that helps us to understand how you use Loudsurf or to personalise our content and advertising to you.
- Log information – we collect technical information such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and when, how often and for how long you interact with the Service.
- Location information – your mobile device enables us to show you content that is local to you and to help authenticate the use of the Service. We may approximate your location from your device using a combination of your IP address or through the GPS, Bluetooth or WiFi connection information used by your device. Where we collect location, we will prompt you about sharing your location and you can disable location sharing at any time through the settings of your device – although this may affect the services we can provide you.
- Information we may collect from other sources
We may supplement the information we collect from you with information we receive from other sources and add it to your account information. For example:
- Information from other Loudsurf users – We may collect information or content that is about you from other users of Loudsurf. For example friends or others in your friendship network who may send messages or share content such as audio files, images or video.
- Information from syncing with third party services – We offer you the option to choose to sync or upload information and content between the services of third parties, such as Spotify, and our Service through our software APIs and tools. When you visit those third party services to which you have connected with your Loudsurf account, we may have access to certain information (such as content you have listened to or playlists you have created) where you have chosen, through the account settings with that third party service, to make this information available to Loudsurf. By connecting a third party service with your Loudsurf account, you agree that Loudsurf may have access to and use of information provided by these third party services.
- Information from cookies and similar technologies
There are a mix of tools such as cookies, device ids, pixel tags, web beacons and similar technology (collectively described here as ‘cookies’) to collect information about the access to and use of websites or apps. These typically include a unique reference code that relates to, or is accessed from, a user’s device to enable the device to be remembered when you next visit the website or an app and that stores and sometimes tracks information about the user.
We use such tools to:
- verify our users
- understand what features of the Service are popular
- personalise content and advertising on Loudsurf
- manage the number of times you are delivered a specific advertisement
- track the effectiveness of our marketing and promotional activities
- understand generally how users of Loudsurf behave and interact with our Services
These are either used by us or by third parties who are delivering services for us. To the extent this information can be linked with IP addresses or other user or user device identifiers, we will treat this information as personal information under this policy.
We use the following types of cookies or ‘cookie-like’ technologies for the following reasons:
- Secure login and navigation – we use these to verify you as a user of Loudsurf and to provide account content and features relevant to you.
- Features and functionality – these allow us to offer features that help you to customise Loudsurf to you. This can include features such as remembering specific content or waves
- Performance and analytics – these allow us to analyse how users behave on Loudsurf, understand what content is most popular so that we can see what features need improving and enhance your experience on Loudsurf.
- Advertising and retargeting – these allow us to place and control and measure the effectiveness of advertisements you see so that they reflect your interests and so you are not continually shown the same advertisement.
We work with partners to analyse users or place advertisements on Loudsurf. In particular we work with Amplitude to provide analytics on our users. To learn more about Amplitude and to opt-out of tracking visit https://amplitude.com/privacy
Separate from Loudsurf you can also generally choose to limit the targeted advertising you receive to your device by setting the ‘Limit Ad Tracking’ property located in the settings screen of your Apple iPhone or iPad, or by resetting your Android ID through apps that are available in the Play Store. As mentioned this option is available using the standard settings of your device and is not a feature of Loudsurf.
How do we use your information?
We use personal information we collect to deliver the Loudsurf Service, to improve Loudsurf content and functionality, to optimise Loudsurf for you and to protect Loudsurf and its users.
We may use the personal information that we receive to:
- Identify you when you sign into your Loudsurf account
- To provide you with an optimal experience including:
- finding other users and enabling other users to find you
- helping you with new music discovery
- creating waves, user and group suggestions or recommendations
- managing waves
- log and manage any enquiries directed to us
- delivering services relevant to you and to the laws of the jurisdiction from which you are accessing the Loudsurf Service
- where you share your device location, by providing content that is local to you.
- Analyse the use of Loudsurf and our users in order to understand what content, music or bands/artists are popular, to compile group and personal charts and improve our content and Services.
- Communicate with you by way of service updates or notifications relating to your account or in responding to a specific enquiry you have raised with us.
- Send you marketing communications, provided you have consented to be contacted for these purposes.
- Provide and measure advertising and Services. We may gather information about the use of Loudsurf including the types of content and keywords searched and music listening behaviour in order to understand the interests of users. We use this information (in combination with gender, age and country) in order to make advertising on Loudsurf appropriate for and relevant to users and their interests.
When might your information be shared?
- Information shared by you
Loudsurf is all about enabling you to share content and information and to choose who to share that content or information with, whether this is a private or a public group or the online world at large. You choose what information you share with other Loudsurf users and who you share that information with by selecting the users. Where content (including messages, music, video, audio or images) is shared outside of the application the content will be public.
- Information shared by others
Other users of Loudsurf may share content about you. For example friends or others in your network may send messages or share content such as audio files, images or video about you on Loudsurf. In cases where you are concerned about what has been shared or disclosed about you please contact us App Feedback.
- Information shared by us
We may disclose collected information about users of Loudsurf to our other offices or with our agents or contractors who help us in providing support services including supporting Loudsurf, with analysing data, managing and fulfilling requests or enquiries from our users, supporting content management systems, communicating with users and in performing other tasks from time to time. Our agents and contractors will only use your information for us where necessary to perform their functions and subject to security measures and obligations in accordance with applicable law.
- Legal requests
We may retain and disclose your personal information if legally required to do so (for example, if required by law or by a Court order or if we believe that action is necessary to prevent fraud or cybercrime or to protect Loudsurf or the rights, property or personal safety of any person).
All such requests are assessed and we may challenge the basis of the request if it is not made by an officer with proper authority, the request lacks a proper statutory basis or appears too broad or vague as to its scope or purpose.
How we store your information
Loudsurf is headquartered in Europe and our main data hosting facilities are located on servers based in Europe. That said, personal information may be transferred to and/or processed in other countries for the purposes described in this policy where Loudsurf group companies or its service providers maintain operations. These countries may not have similar data protection laws to those in Europe. If we transfer your information in this way we will take steps to implement appropriate legal mechanisms relevant to the transfer. By submitting information via Loudsurf you consent to this transfer and/or processing.
We place great importance on the security of all personal identifiable information associated with our users. We have put controls in place to seek to safeguard the personal information that you provide, applying physical and technical measures against the loss, misuse, unauthorised access to and/or alteration of personal information.
Please be aware that when you use Loudsurf any personal information you post or share can be seen by other users and potentially the wider world and may be onwards shared or used by them. Treat any information you post or share as public and exercise caution in what you choose to make available.
Remember also that you are responsible for keeping your password or passcode details secret at all times. If you become aware that your account has been used or accessed by someone else without your permission, let us know immediately App Feedback.
Managing your choices
You have options and choices about how you use Loudsurf and how we use your personal information. In particular, Loudsurf provides you with tools in respect of your posts and profile, and our marketing and advertising. You can also access, update or amend your information.
Posts – You can remove content you post to Loudsurf by selecting the ‘remove’ option.
Marketing – We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purpose without your explicit consent.
If you do not want to receive marketing from Loudsurf you can unsubscribe using the link in the email you receive or by texting the opt-out number given in the message. You can also change your preferences in your account settings.
You can set the ‘Limit Ad Tracking’ property located in the settings screen of your Apple iPhone or iPad, or by resetting your Android ID through apps that are available in the Play Store. You can also stop App-based information collection, by uninstalling the App on your device and you can use the standard uninstall process available as part of your mobile device for this purpose.
Access to your data (Subject Access Requests)
You can access, update or amend the majority of your information through your user account. Certain countries also have statutory rights to access correct or update data. To make a request in respect of accessing or updating your data please contact us App Feedback.
Our retention of user information
We retain your personal information during the life of your account as long as is necessary for and relevant to providing the Loudsurf Service to you. In the event that you notify us that you want to terminate your account, we will close the account within a reasonably appropriate period after receiving the request. We may further retain personal information associated with an account for a period after closure where this is required in connection with the legitimate business purposes of Loudsurf or where we are requested or required to retain certain information in connection with legal or regulatory purposes.
Your questions and how to contact us?
If you have any questions or concerns about your personal information or this policy please contact us. Before getting in touch check our Frequently Asked Questions to see if your specific query is already covered.
The data controller responsible for your information is Loudsurf Limited.
Contact us online App Feedback
Email address for policy and legal queries: email@example.com